The X-Files was one of the most subversive and longest-running science fiction series in US television history. Yet very little serious work has been done to examine the hit series. Deny All Knowledge examines topics such as:
– Why is the series such a hit worldwide?
– Why is The X-Files so popular online, generating dozens of websites and chat groups daily?
– How does The X-Files‘ Conspiracy Theory compares to shows from the 1950s?
– Can The X-Files be considered a modern-day myth?
– What does The X-Files tell us about gender roles today?
David Lavery is the author of more than one hundred published essays, chapters, and reviews. He is also coeditor of Screwball Television: Critical Perspectives on Gilmore Girls and Reading Joss Whedon.
Angela Hague is professor of English at Middle Tennessee State University.
Marla Cartwright is the director for the Center of Teaching and Learning at Purdue University Global.