There was rapid growth after World War II in the field of biology, capped off with Watson and Crick’s path-
breaking work decoding the structure of DNA in 1953. This revolutionary achievement dramatically changed how biology was taught around the world, reverberating into Syracuse University’s own Department of Biology.
In 1872, Alexander Winchell, the first chancellor of Syracuse, taught the first course that featured biology in the
Department of Geology, Zoology, and Botany. The department has undergone multiple changes, from faculty appointments to research concentrations to even its location. Its history, with mergers and moves, mirrors the field of biology and over a century’s worth of progress. Serving as a single, comprehensive source of the department’s growth and history, this volume includes personal accounts and anecdotes from former faculty and alumni from the late nineteenth century to the early twenty-first century and descriptions of the 175 faculty members and alumni achievements. It also lists the recipients of undergraduate and graduate biology student awards. This book is a valued resource and a cherished chronicle of events for those associated with the department and Syracuse University at large.
H. Richard Levy is professor emeritus in the Department of Biology at Syracuse University. He has published numerous articles in scientific journals, book chapters, and review articles.
Series: Syracuse University
Distributed for Richard Levy
7 x 10, 324 pages, 16 color, 107 black and white illustrations